The employment laws are notoriously arcane and complex. Employers have to comply with a confusing patchwork of federal, state and local laws while also running a business.
We can help you navigate these laws, and address issues before they arise rather than waiting until you receive a pre-litigation letter from an employee or a government agency.
We provide counseling on compliance with all aspects of employment law including:
- Wage and hour laws including the Fair Labor Standards Act and the New York Labor Law;
- Federal anti-discrimination laws including Title VII
- State anti-discrimination law including the New York State Human Rights Law, the New York City Human Rights Law, and various county-level anti-discrimination laws
- Leave laws including the Family Medical Leave Act, the New York Paid Family Leave Law, New York City's Earned Sick Time Act (Paid Sick Leave Law)
- Onboarding requirements including initial pay notifications, offer letters and employment agreements
- Non-compete agreements
- Non-solicitation agreements
- Non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements
- Properly structuring independent contractor agreements to avoid scrutiny
- COBRA and ERISA requirements
- Employee severance agreements
- Covid-related issues
- Pre-litigation negotiations and de-escalation
We can also help with matters before government agencies including the department of labor and the National Labor Relations Board.